Recording an album in an actual recording studio is on my bucket list. I want some songs I wrote on vinyl and to be out in the world far more than I want to be on a stage. And I think this is the year that I do that.
After nearly a two year songwriting slump I’m back in it, and have started organizing songs I have, re-working things that need re-working, and picking out the best ones to put on an album.
This exercise has been reaffirming, and I’d like to share for accountability purposes the excuses I have told myself in the decade re: why I couldn’t record an album.
- I don’t have enough songs - lol
- The songs aren’t good enough/ready - do it anyway (and yeah, they are)
- I should play the songs out in public first - But why
- I don’t have the money - I spend more money on less important things
- Who would listen to it? - doesn’t matter, me?
- I need to get a band together first - eh
- I can probably record them well enough myself - you absolute loon
This Time It’s Different